Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Ender

I read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card originally because of the Something about Me Reading Challenge. I chose this one to read only because I had heard of it before. I first remember it when I was looking for science fiction type books to read for a reading group at school. It never worked out because I couldn't find enough copies to buy right away, nor did we have it at school. Since then I have seen the title pass by me, however, as a "non" fan of intense science fiction material, I let it pass me by. This, I see now, was a mistake. I had even started a book for this challenge before beginning Ender's Game and had to set it aside for this book.

I am completely surprised at my love for this book. Karlene and Becky chose it because of their love for the writing of Orson Scott Card. I see now what they love so much about this book and its author. I assumed that science fiction would lack empathy and emotion and I felt more of those two feelings in this book than I have in quite a long time. Card was able to create a character so amazingly full of will and innocence it was hard for me to read of the injustices he had to endure. I instantly wanted to help and protect him. I never once doubted his desire to do the right thing, but I was pained at the torture he was put through. Without such a strong and likeable character there would be nothing to this tale.

I was amazed at the world Card had created. It was one that was easy for me to create in my own mind, even if I didn't understand everything scientific phrase or event. This is one reason I fear SF. Everything can be completely obsure to me because I can't wrap my mind around the ideas presented. This story was much easier to relate to and that only added to my love for the book. There were minor things that I could not understand without a bit of research, but it wasn't something that effected my understanding of the story.

Because I love happy endings I was smiling by the time I finished this book, but I am not sure how realistic, even for a SF, the ending really is. For a child to be put through all that Ender was put through I have a hard time believing everything would turn out so well. For this character though, I am willing to suspend my disbelief and believe in Ender's wonderful life. He definitely deserved all that he got in the end.

I sometimes get so wrapped up in the characters and emotions of a book that I feel like I have gone on an emotional roller coaster. Since I finished this book only minutes ago I feel that way now. I think that some of what I say now will change as I remove myself from this story, but I will definitely pick up another book by Orson Scott Card and will recommend this one quickly to others who might enjoy it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I am so glad you enjoyed this one. You're right, it is the *characters* that draw you in and hook you with this one. Ender has never really left me...if you should want to read more Card in the next year or so, feel free to join the Cardathon Challenge:

http://cardathon.blogspot.com/