Monday, June 16, 2008

Gotta Love Percy Jackson

Ok, I am a sucker for a character who makes mistakes, but tries their best to do the right thing. Percy Jackson is that kid and he is part of the reason I like the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series of books so much.

The first book is called The Lightning Thief. Percy finds out in this book he is a half-god, the illegitimate child of Poseidon. In order to prevent a war between his father and Zeus he is sent on a quest to return a lightning bolt that was stolen. Fortunately for him he is a quick learner, gets to bring along some friends and seems to get lucky a lot.

The second book, The Sea of Monsters, leads Percy on another quest. Before he leaves on this quest he finds out he has a brother. He isn't exactly happy about it either. I personally love the addition to the characters with Tyson and I think he adds an amazing depth to the dynamic of family going on within these stories. So, Tyson and Percy go out on this new adventure, but Percy wasn't exactly invited so he not only battles his enemies but a few of his allies.

The third book is called The Titans Curse and probably my least favorite of them all so far. I did enjoy this book very much especially the addition of Thalia, the Hunters and Rachel Elizabeth Dare , but Tyson was not in this book as much as the last and I think I might enjoy him more. On this particular quest Percy and his comrades must travel west to help Artemis, although in secret Percy is really hoping to find Annabeth who was lost.

The fourth book, The Battle of the Labyrinth, again brings the children together for a quest. With Annabeth finally getting to lead a quest of her own she leads the way into the ever-changing labyrinth in order to save the half-blood camp and prevent the Titans from gaining control once again.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

I enjoy reading this series, too, and am disappointed to hear that the 5th book will be the last. I have yet to read The Battle of Labyrinth, but I'm looking forward to it.